Terms & conditions
Terms & conditions
Albatros Expeditions is an international cruise and tour operator. By joining our cruise, passengers certify that they are qualified to enter and exit countries visited within the confirmed travel program and cruise itinerary and/or have obtained necessary visas, if required, accordingly. All Passports, Visas, Public Health Documents and other travel documents required for embarking or disembarking must be obtained by, and are the sole responsibility of, the Passenger.
Passengers must be at the cruise terminal or embarkment point at least 60 minutes before departure to allow sufficient time for check-in and boarding the ship.
Ticket is non-transferable.
Smoking is strictly prohibited in all passenger cabins. Violators will be assessed a USD 5,000 fee to cover additional cleaning costs. Smoking is permitted in designated outside areas only.
Passage on Albatros Expeditions (hereafter referred to as AE) vessels is subject to the terms and conditions outlined in the AE Contract of Passage. We encourage you to review this information before your trip. If you need to contact us or check out information about your voyage, visit
or contact our Denmark office +45 36 98 97 96
Contract of passage
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO PASSENGERS:
THIS DOCUMENT IS A LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACT ISSUED BY AE (ALBATROS EXPEDITIONS), AND ACCEPTED BY PASSENGER, SUBJECT TO THE IMPORTANT TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPEARING BELOW. EACH PASSENGER SHOULD CAREFULLY EXAMINE THIS CONTRACT OF PASSAGE before boarding.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: THE ATTENTION OF PASSENGERS IS SPECIALLY DIRECTED TO PARAGRAPHS 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 11 & 12 WHICH CONTAIN IMPORTANT LIMITATIONS ON THE RIGHTS OF PASSENGERS WHO ASSERT CLAIMS AGAINST AT, THE VESSEL, THEIR AGENTS AND EMPLOYEES, AND OTHERS, INCLUDING FORUM SELECTION CLAUSE, CLASS ACTION WAIVER, LIMITATION OF LIABILITY, AND TIME LIMITATION PROVISIONS.
IMPORTANT TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF CONTRACT - PASSENGERS READ CAREFULLY
1. “Passenger” includes all persons traveling under this contract and their heirs and representatives. “Passenger” shall include the plural and the use of masculine shall include the feminine. Passenger admits a full understanding of the nature and character of the Vessel and voyage. “Vessel” means the AE vessels or any watercraft on which Passenger may be traveling or against which Passenger may assert any claim. “Carrier” means jointly and severally AE, the Vessel, its owners, operators, charterers and lenders, and their respective employees, collaborates, agents, affiliates, successors and assigns.
This Contract describes the terms and conditions that will apply to the relationship between the Carrier and the Passenger. Except as otherwise expressly provided herein, this Agreement supersedes any other written or oral representations or agreements relating to the subject matter of this Agreement or the voyage. Purchase or use of this Ticket Contract, whether or not signed by the Passenger, shall constitute the agreement by Passenger, on behalf of himself and all other persons traveling under this Contract (including any accompanying minors or other persons for whom the Contract was purchased), to be bound by the terms and conditions of this Contract. The passenger cannot modify this contract.
2. Passenger hereby agrees that any and all disputes or claims arising as a result of travel aboard the Vessel or arising out of or in connection with this Contract shall be governed by The Athens Convention (Athens Protocol 2002) entered into force and effective from April 23, 2014.
3. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR LOST OR DAMAGED PROPERTY:
Notwithstanding any other provision of law or this Agreement, Carrier's liability for loss or damage to property for the cruise is limited to USD 250.00 per Passenger, unless Passenger declares the true value of such property in writing to Carrier at its office at Albatros Expeditions:
Tøndergade 16 DK-1752 København
and pays Carrier within 10 days of final payment for the cruise, a fee of one percent (1%) of the amount that such value exceeds USD 250.00. Carrier shall have the right to deny the declaration at his discretion. In such event, Carrier's liability shall be limited to its true declared value, but not exceeding USD 5,000.
Carrier does not undertake to carry as baggage, items that include but are not limited to: any tools of trade, household goods, fragile or valuable items, precious metals, jewelry, documents, negotiable instruments or other valuables.
Each Passenger hereby releases Carrier from any liability whatsoever for loss of or damage to such items when presented to Carrier in breach of this warranty. In no event shall Carrier be liable for normal wear or tear of luggage or property, or loss of or damage to jewelry, cash, negotiable paper, photographic/electronic, medical or recreational equipment, dental hardware, eyewear, medications or other valuables, unless they are deposited with Carrier on the Vessel for safekeeping against receipt (the Vessel does not accept valuables for deposit). Nor is it Carrier's liability, if any, loss of or damage to valuables so deposited, which shall not exceed the amounts indicated in above in this paragraph. Carrier is also not liable for loss of or damage to items when the passenger participates in landings, zodiac cruises, shore excursions or any other forms of transportation in connection with the cruise program.
4. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY - PERSONAL INJURY: Carrier hereby disclaims all liability to the passengers for emotional distress, mental suffering, psychological injury of any kind under any circumstances, when such damages neither were the result of physical injury, nor intentionally inflicted by the Carrier. Without limiting the preceding sentence, in no event will Carrier be liable to Passenger for any consequential, incidental, exemplary or punitive damages.
AE informs the passenger of the following. This voyage takes place in a remote part of the world. Weather, ocean and other natural issue might affect the comfort of the voyage and the passenger is aware of this.
In addition to all limitations and exemptions from liability herein, Carrier and/or Vessel shall have the benefit of any statute providing for limitation or of exoneration from liability available in the applicable forum, including but not limited to The Athens Convention (Athens Protocol 2002) entered into force on the 23rd April 2014.
5. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY - SHORE EXCURSIONS AND EXPEDITION PROGRAM: While participating in activities during cruises offering Carrier's expedition program and/or shore excursion program, certain risks and dangers may arise including but not limited to: activities in remote areas, animals and marine life, forces of nature and accident or illness. Carrier does not have any responsibility for the accuracy of any information it provides regarding any activity included in the expedition or shore excursion program and cannot determine and/or assure the suitability of any excursion or activity as to a particular passenger. All Passengers who participate in any expedition or activity offered by Carrier, accept responsibility for making their own determinations as to the suitability of the activity regarding their own safety, conduct and wellbeing and agree to participate solely at their own risk. Attending applicable and available information briefings before participation is mandatory. Based on the aforementioned, each participating Passenger assumes the risk associated with any and all activities, excursions and expeditions, included or optional to Passengers and will hold Carrier and expedition team members harmless from and defend them against any and all liability, actions, suits, claims and demands which could arise from participation in any of the aforementioned activities.
6. TIME LIMITATION - PROPERTY DAMAGE CLAIMS: Carrier shall not be liable for any claim of a Passenger with respect to his/her personal property unless made in writing and lodged with Carrier at Carrier’s office at Albatros Expeditions Tøndergade 16 DK-1752 København V within forty-five (45) days after Passenger leaves the Vessel.
7. TIME LIMITATION -- PERSONAL INJURY - DEATH CLAIMS: Carrier shall not be liable for any claim for a loss of life or personal injury unless made in writing and lodged with the carrier at the carrier’s office at Albatros Expeditions Tøndergade 16 DK-1752 København V within six (6) months from the date when the death or injury occurred.
8. TIME LIMITATION - SUITS: Suits and actions to recover for loss of life or personal injury to passengers shall not be maintainable unless instituted within one (1) year from the date when death or injury occurred. Suits and actions to recover for claims other than personal injuries or loss of life shall not be maintainable unless commenced within six (6) months from the date, which the claim accrued or loss occurred.
9. FORUM SELECTION CLAUSE - it is agreed by and between Passenger and/or Shipper and Carrier that all claims disputes and matters whatsoever arising under, in conjunction with, or relating to this Contract and the transportation hereunder shall be commenced, filed, and litigated, if at all, in and before Maritime and Commercial High Court. Amaliegade 35, 2. 1256 København K or as alternative courts city court of Copenhagen. Domhuset; Nytorv Domhuset 1450 København K. or Court of Frederiksberg Howitzvej 3220 Frederiksberg
10. CLASS ACTION RELIEF WAIVER - Passenger hereby agrees that Passenger may bring claims against Carrier only in Passenger's individual capacity. Even if the applicable law provides otherwise, Passenger agrees that any lawsuit against Carrier, vessel or transport whatsoever shall be litigated by Passenger individually and not as a member of any class or as part of a class or representative action, and Passenger expressly agrees to waive any law entitling Passenger to participate in a class action.
11. The illegality or invalidity of any other paragraph, clause or provision of the contract cannot affect or invalidate any other paragraph, clause or provisions thereof.
12. Rates and schedules in the uncontrolled discretion of Carrier are subject to change without notice and without liability to Carrier for any damage(s) to passengers, cargo, or cargo owners resulting therefrom.
13. This Passage Contract is valid only for the named Passenger(s), and only for the date and Vessel indicated, or any substitute Vessel, and is not transferable.
14. Travel Agent: Passenger acknowledges and confirms that any travel agent utilized by Passenger in connection with the issuance of this Contract is, for all purposes, Passenger's agent and Carrier shall not be liable for any representation made or said by travel agent. Passenger shall remain liable at all times to Carrier for the price of passage. Passenger understands and agrees that receipt of this Contract or any other information or notices by Passenger's travel agent shall be deemed receipt by the Passenger as of the date of receipt by the agent. Passenger acknowledges that Carrier is not responsible for the financial condition or integrity of any travel agent.
15. (i) CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES-WEAPONS: In no event shall any Passenger bring on board the Vessel controlled substances, live animals, any type of weapons, firearms, or explosives, without the written permission of the Carrier. (ii) FOOD, AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS, BEVERAGES AND ALCOHOL: Passenger shall not bring food (whether in coolers or otherwise), agricultural products or beverages of any type, including alcoholic beverages aboard the Vessel. Carrier reserves the right to refuse to permit any Passenger to take on board any item Carrier deems dangerous, harmful or inappropriate. Any prohibited item or item deemed, in the sole discretion of Carrier, to be inappropriate is subject to forfeiture and removal from Passenger’s possession or from the Vessel at the time of embarkation, or at any time it is discovered during the voyage. Any item forfeited or removed may be disposed of by Carrier or turned over to appropriate authorities.
16. Physical Disability/Wheelchairs: Mandated safety requirements in the construction and operation of the Vessel, inherently restrict maneuverability in many areas. Consequently, the vessel is not suitable for persons with disabilities or use wheelchair by shore based standards. In this respect, the anticipated natural movements of a vessel at sea should be considered. If any doubt exists about the ability of a passenger to accept such conditions, they are advised not to travel on the Vessel. Carrier reserves the right to refuse or revoke passage to anyone who, in its sole judgment, is unfit to travel on the Vessel or who may require attention beyond that which the Vessel can provide. Passengers may also be required to sign a statement releasing AE from all responsibility relative to the use of shipboard facilities and in the event of an emergency.
17. Medical Personnel: Due to the nature of travel by water, availability of medical care may be limited or delayed and medical evacuation may not be possible from the Vessel while at sea or from every location the Vessel sails. The Vessel will carry a doctor and/or nurse. Any medical personnel provided are provided solely as a convenience to the Passenger and are not provided for allowing persons with any medical conditions to travel. The Vessel does not have x-ray equipment or hospital facilities. The doctor and/or nurse are independent contractors and are available on the Vessel solely for the convenience of the Passenger, work directly with the Passenger, and shall not be deemed acting as agents and representatives of the Carrier. Carrier assumes no liability whatsoever for any treatment, failure to treat, diagnosis, misdiagnosis, actual or alleged malpractice, advice, examination or other services provided by such persons or entities. Carrier does not provide medical services. Passengers shall pay for all medical care requested or required, including the cost of any medical care, transportation or evacuation and shall reimburse Carrier for the cost of any medical care, transportation or evacuation required by Passenger, but incurred by Carrier.
18. Identification - Passengers certify that they are qualified to enter and exit countries visited within the confirmed travel program and/or cruise(s) and/or have obtained necessary visas accordingly. All Passports, Visas, Public Health Documents and other travel documents required for embarkation or disembarkation are to be obtained by and are the sole responsibility of the Passenger. It is the sole responsibility of the Passenger to determine what travel documents are required. Carrier reserves the right to deny boarding to any Passenger who does not possess all necessary travel documents for the voyage. In the event a Passenger is denied boarding due to Passenger’s failure to possess appropriate travel documents, Carrier shall have no duty or obligation to refund the Passenger’s fare. Passenger, or if a minor, their guardian, shall be liable to Carrier for any fines or penalties imposed on Carrier by any government, governmental authority or port for failure of the Passenger to observe or comply with laws or regulations, including requirements relating to immigration, customs or excise taxes or fees.
19. Cancellation, Deviation or Substitution by Carrier: Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, because of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.
By way of example, and not limitation, Carrier may, without liability, deviate from any scheduled sailing and may otherwise land Passenger and his/her property at any port if Carrier believes that the voyage or any Passenger or property may be hindered or adversely affected as a result of hostilities, blockages, prevailing weather conditions, labor conflicts, strikes onboard or ashore, breakdown of Vessel, congestion, docking difficulties, medical or lifesaving emergencies or any other cause whatsoever.
Carrier shall have the right to comply with any orders, recommendations, or directions whatsoever given by any governmental entity or by persons purporting to act with such authority and such compliance shall not be deemed a breach of this Agreement entitling the Passenger to assert any claim for liability, compensation or refund.
20. If any provision of this Agreement is determined in any jurisdiction to be unenforceable for any reason, it shall be deemed severed from this Agreement and all remaining provisions shall remain in full force and effect.
21. Children and Minors onboard: Minors under the age of 18 must be travelling with a parent or responsible adult over the age of 21 in the same stateroom as well as on shore excursions for the duration of the voyage. If the minor is not travelling with a parent, a Child Travel Consent Form must be signed by a parent or legal guardian and received by AE prior to the release of travel documents.
AE cannot accommodate children under 8 years of age (weight of 29kg and 1.2 m. tall). Although AE accepts children over 8 years of age there is no childcare or special programming onboard. In addition, safety harnesses and seating equipment are not provided for children onboard any AE excursion or shuttle service. Guests may use their own approved safety harnesses and seating equipment provided the vehicles have compatible equipment to safely secure the child. This equipment is not guaranteed and AE reserves the right to refuse any child above the age of 8 years of age and below 14 years of age on any shore excursion or shuttle for safety concerns.
Please note that for Antarctica voyages, AE recommends children to be of 12 years of age or more, and must be accompanied by an adult during all landings and onboard.
Passengers must be 21 years or older to consume or purchase alcohol onboard. AE reserves the right to refuse to serve anyone who in its sole judgment is deemed impaired and a risk to the health and safety of passengers and ship’s crew.
22. Smoking policies: Smoking is permitted in designated outside areas only. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere inside the Vessel and in all passenger cabins. Violators will be assessed up to a USD 5,000 fee to cover additional cleaning costs. Should the smoking violation become known after the guest has left the Vessel, we reserve the right to make a charge to the guest’s credit/debit card, or send an invoice for the amount to the registered address.
23. Property damage policy: We reserve the right to charge guests the cost of rectifying damage, caused by the deliberate, negligent or reckless act of the guest to the Vessel’s property or structure. Should this damage become known after the guest has left the Vessel, we reserve the right to make a charge to the guest’s credit / debit card, or send an invoice for the amount to the registered address.
24. Removal of property policy: We reserve the right to charge guests the cost of replacing any items that are removed from the Vessel by them without consent. The charge will be the full replacement amount of the missing item, including any carriage charges. Should the fact that the item is missing become known after the guest has left the Vessel, we reserve the right to make a charge to the guest’s credit/debit card, or send an invoice for the amount to the registered address.
25. Photographs/Video: Carrier has the exclusive right to include photographic, video and other visual portrayals of Passenger in any pictorial medium of any nature whatsoever for the purpose of trade, advertising, sales, publicity or otherwise, without compensation to Passenger, and all rights, title and interest therein (including all copyrights therein) shall be Carrier’s sole property, free from any claims by Passenger or any person deriving any rights or interest from Passenger.
26. Travelling in the polar regions may involve risk and potential exposure to injury, including emotional injury, injury to person or property and death. Passenger understands this and will hold Carrier free of liability relating to any issues arising from the trip to the Polar Regions.
27. Passenger shall follow and abide to all instructions by The Master of the Vessel and Carrier´s expedition crew. These instructions may involve disembarking or embarking zodiacs, fire and evacuation drills onboard Carrier´s vessel. Passenger agrees to participate in all mandatory drills and instructions announced by the Master and/or Expedition staff. Passenger agrees to adhere to the Expedition leader guidelines at all times during the voyage. The passenger will be familiarized with International Association of Antarctica Tour Operators (IAATO) Visitor Guidelines for Antarctica and will be briefed by Carrier at the beginning of the voyage.
28. Itinerary stated from your Sales Agent is the intended itinerary of AE but the passenger shall be aware that due to conditions of weather, ocean, ice and governmental restrictions AE and the Master of the Vessel have full right to change in the itinerary as they deem fit.
29. To participate in this voyage a medical evacuation insurance coverage is mandatory for all passengers. The medical insurance must be able to cover all existing health issues the passenger might have. It must also cover medical treatment and medical evacuation in any of the areas traveled. AE is not responsible for any medical or health issues arising during this voyage. In case of an emergency medical situation, AE will seek to find the closest location on the voyage from where medical treatment and evacuation can be performed. The Master, medical staff and AE expedition leader, will decide the course of action related to this emergency medical situation together and the passenger accepts this condition prior to embarkation.
30. The passenger understands that traveling to Antarctica in the expedition manner that AE conducts will require the need to claim stairways embark and disembark from a zodiac under both wet and dry conditions and transportation with a zodiac can result in clothing or any other object held by the passenger come in contact with ocean water.
31. AE is only liable for the itinerary mentioned by your Sales Agent. AE is not liable for any other services sold or advertised in relation to this ticket. AE is therefore not liable nor responsible for any package travel products sold by travel agencies, travel clubs or travel websites in connection with this ticket.